Everything you need to know about visiting Dubai in October 2020
October is when Dubai starts to see a glimpse of a return to the milder days of winter. Outdoor seasonal events and festivities around the city begin to dust off their covers and re-emerge ready for a busy new winter season.
2020 will be slightly different to past years due to the travel restrictions for many around the world. However, there’s still plenty going on around town for visitors to enjoy.
Is October a good time to visit Dubai? Weather in October
The start of the month is still extremely hot in Dubai and you should expect temperatures in excess of 40c/104F, but by month-end, the humidity starts to drop and the air temperature cools significantly giving way to bearable outside heat during the day. The average day time high you should expect in October is 35.6c/96F.
Average seas temperatures drop down to around 31c/76F which is great for swimming, but the ground will still be very hot (ie the sand still scorches your feet!!)
You can read our complete guide to Dubai Weather in October here, as well as our suggested ideas of what to pack for Dubai in October.
Dubai Special Events October 2020
- Expo2020 – what had been planned as Dubai’s big event of the decade has been postponed by one year to open on 1 October 2021 – watch this space for more of what to expect in the lead-up.
- World Art Dubai will be at the World Trade Centre from 8 to 10 October 2020, one of the first live exhibition events to return to the city.
- The Laughter Factory – fabulous to see the return of comedy, you’ll find the Laughter Factory at venues across the city, welcoming international acts. Currently slated dates for October 8th-10th and 15th-16th.
- Dubai Comedy Festival – while you’ve got your laugh on this month, check out events across town from 21 to 24 October 2020.
- Launch of the World’s Largest Fountain – The Palm Fountains on Palm Jumierah are set to make their record-breaking debut on 22 October 2020, thereafter will be open nightly to view at The Pointe every 30 minutes from 7:00 pm to midnight.
- Mai Dubai City Half Marathon – a return of the outdoor sporting events calendar kicks off with this 5km/10km/21km event through the city streets on 23 October 2020 – face masks on, of course.
- Dubai Fitness Challenge – will see events kick off all over the city from 30 October 2020 – 30 minutes a day for 30 days – you’ll find plenty of opportunities to get involved whether you are a resident or visiting Dubai.
Note many schools locally take a mid-term break towards the end of October, this can be a few days or a full week. It shouldn’t make attractions significantly busier but you will see more families out and about mid-week.
Suggested Dubai activities in October
As it’s still pretty hot outside we’re all about keeping our cool in October, but no need to be trapped indoors all day. It’s a great time of year to enjoy the beaches and water parks when the air temperatures not so stifling and the water temperatures are beautifully warm.
- Head to Aquaventure at Atlantis the Palm for a day of splashing good fun at one of the world’s biggest and best water parks. If it’s getting too hot outside in the peak of the day, make sure you head into the Lost Chambers aquarium, the largest in the UAE – save by buying a combo ticket!
Top Tip: If you stay at Atlantis the Palm then your hotel stay will include your entry to Aquaventure!
- Explore around Souk Madinat Jumeirah. This modern take on an old souk (market) always has something happening! It is mostly indoors so great to tackle when it’s still a bit too hot outside. Enjoy cooling off at a show at the Madinat Jumeirah Theatre, or take an Abra ride through the canals. A great place to stock up on your Dubai souvenirs, albeit pricier than the traditional markets in Deira.
Top Tip: Guest staying at any of the Jumeriah Hotels can get tickets to Wild Wadi Water Park, attached to Jumeirah Beach Hotel
- Enjoy the return of outdoor terraces and rooftop bars in Dubai. There are some summer changes as is usual but looking forward to the newly re-opened Address Dubai Marina rooftop and pool Wane by SoMiya, and for some truly special and unique views of the Burj Khalifa check out Cé La Vi, Address Sky View.
- It’s also an ideal time to enjoy the city’s beach clubs that hit back into full swing with the cooling days. You can see our complete collection of favourite Dubai Beach Clubs offering day passes here.
Enjoy afternoon tea at the city’s most iconic building, the acclaimed “7 star” Burj Al Arab. You’ll need to save your pennies for one of Dubai’s most luxurious dining options at Skyview Bar & Restaurant.
October Day Trips from Dubai
With borders still closed into neighbouring Oman, and restrictions imposed on entry into Abu Dhabi Emirate, you will find day trip choices this October a little more limited than usual. That said, there’s plenty going on in the northern Emirates for you to check out, all keen to see the return of domestic and international tourism.
- Take a trip to the highest point in the UAE! As the day time temperatures drop away a little, plan yourself an early morning visit to Jebel Jais in Ras Al Khaimah (RAK). 1484 is the hottest – or should we say highest! – new address worth checking out this October – a new restaurant to sit at the peak of the mountain with simply spectacular views (8:00 AM to 7 PM daily)
- Then, of course, there’s the longest zipline in the world to tackle. Jebel Jais Flight will see you soaring up to 150km/hr through the Hajar Mountains. There’s also the Jais Sky Tour and the Jais Sky Maze for adrenaline-seekers to try their hand at and make it a full day in the mountains. At the peak, you are approximately 2 hours away from Dubai.
- After something more serene? You can try an organized picnic service from Dubai to Jebel Jais, where your transport and all your trimmings for a meal in the mountains is arranged for you. Or alternatively, a bit of a hidden favourite we love is visiting is Suwaidi Pearl Farm in the tiny northern RAK village of Al Rams. There’s a great guide here to all there is to see and do this winter in RAK
Dubai with kids in October
Family activities are back in full swing in Dubai, with safety precautions in place. It is still quite hot for outdoor adevntures but by October first thing in the morning and early evening are pleasant enough to be out. If you’ve already tackled some water park fun as we mentioned above, why not try:
- Aventura Parks – a tree surfing and ziplining adventure through Mushrif Park. A floodlit option is available to enjoy the park in the evenings.
- Dubai Safari Park – The grand re-opening of Dubai’s only desert safari park is due to happen on 4 October, a chance to enjoy their brand new line up of nature experiences.
- October is the perfect time to enjoy the best public beaches in Dubai. Why not try La Mer in the early evening (Laguna Water Park has a Sundowner offer running just now), followed by dinner in one of the water-side restaurants. Kite Beach is another local favourite for a simple splash or to join in some water sports.
- A trip to Dubai isn’t complete without experiencing Dubai Global Village. This evening extravaganza is to due to return on 25 October to brighten Dubai evenings once more with a taste of food, dance and shopping from around the world.
It is certainly a challenging time for Dubai tourism, but the doors are very much open to welcome international visitors once more. A negative COVID test is required in order to board your flights to and from the country. Once you are here, look out for the Dubai Assured stamp in venues, and keep social distancing in mind, along with wearing a face mask at all times in public.
Before you go… More important things you should know when planning a trip to Dubai
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Dubai, a handy guide on what to pack and top tips for first-timers on the do’s and don’ts, laws and customs to be aware of.
- Check out this incredible list of 150+ places you should visit when you’re in Dubai.
- Pick up a Dubai Pass to save up to 50% on top Dubai attractions
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!!!
- Discover the best areas to stay in Dubai, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here: