The Festival of Lights is one of the most exciting and colourful events in the Dubai social calendar.
Yes, Dubai is a Muslim country, but with a large expatriate population of Hindu, Jain, and Sikh workers and a culture of acceptance of religions and celebrations makes Dubai one of the most exciting places to be outside of India during Diwali!
In the last couple of years, celebrations have been subdued due to COVID restrictions in Dubai; however, this year, we’re expecting the celebrations across the city to back bigger and better than ever.
When is Diwali?
The date is variable by year, taking place during the Hindu lunisolar month of Kartika, usually falling between mid-October and mid-November on the Gregorian calendar.
In 2022, it will be celebrated on 24 October, but residents and visitors to Dubai can expect to see celebrations lasting from 14 October through until 28 October across the city of Dubai; some venues will be celebrating throughout the whole month of October!
Diwali Celebrations in Dubai
Look out for some of these great events that will be happening across the city – all are welcome to enjoy these celebrations no matter their nationality or religion:
Diwali Dhamaka Festival
Truckers UAE, known for their food truck festivals, is back for a third year of incredible outdoor entertainment to market the occasion of Diwali.
Taking place at Souq Al Marfa, Dubai islands, expect plenty of family entertainment, cultural performances, live music, and a kids’ play area in amongst over 20 food trucks and stalls.
There will also be a huge Diwali Bazaar for everything shoppers are looking for, from handicrafts to festive outfits and jewellery
- When: 22 and 23 October 2022, 4:00 pm to 12:00 midnight
- Where: Souq Al Marfa
- Cost: Free to enter
Diwali at the Waterfront Market
There’s no better place in Dubai to experience Diwali than the Waterfront Market area on the Corniche, Deira.
This ten-day celebration, full of Desi vibes, will see people dancing to Bollywood beats and rangoli artists creating a giant kaleidoscope of colours.
Look out for workshops for your little ones and plenty of opportunities to win cash prizes throughout the celebrations.
- When: 15 to 24 October 2022
- Where: Waterfront Market, Deira
- Cost: Free
Music Events for Diwali in Dubai
Salaam Dubai 2022 – Javed Ali
Celebrate the season of festivities with Javed Ali (the popular Bollywood singer), who is back in Dubai for a Diwali special – Salaam Dubai 2022.
Fans will hear him sing Kun Faya Kun, Arziyan, Jashn-e-Bahara, and many more of his latest songs at this indoor music venue
- Date: 22 October 2022, doors open 7:30 pm
- Location: Madinat Jumeirah Arena
- Tickets: From 95 AED (Gallery) to 2,000 AED (Royal) – see ticketing information here
South Indian Music Festival
Celebrated South Indian rockstar Devi Sri Prasad will be headlining this fabulous night of entertainment at the Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium. He’ll be accompanied 7 artists performing in four different languages.
- Date: 22 October 2022, 8:30 pm
- Where: Dubai Duty Free Tennis Stadium
- Cost: From AED 60 (Bronze) to AED 670 (VVIP) – see ticketing information here
A 3-day celebration, RELM Fest, marking the second anniversary of The Palm Fountains at the Pointe, will include the debut of five new fountain shows.
The RELM Fest lineup includes performances from emerging Arab artists such as Noel Kharman, Hamdan Al Abri, Naghan Debal, Sandra Sahi, and Lea Makous.
There will be fireworks, sets by local DJs, and exclusive dining offers all weekend at The Pointe (parking on site or catch the Palm Monorail).
- Dates: 21 to 23 October 2022
- Location: The Pointe, Palm Jumeirah
- Cost: TBC – check their website here
Diwali Fireworks in Dubai
In addition to the venues listed above, we’ve had confirmation so far that you’ll be able to catch fireworks for Diwali 2022 at the following locations:
- Festival City – in conjunction with their nightly IMAGINE show, on the evening of 23 October 2022 you’ll be able to catch a special fireworks display at 8:30 pm.
- Global Village – with a distinct Diwali flavour, will open at the end of October with special Bollywood performances and their signature fireworks show.
Diwali Shopping Offers in Dubai
Diwali is also widely marked in Dubai’s retail sector with many incredible prizes on offer. Check out some of these deals:
- Spend over 250 AED at Burjuman Mall for a chance to win a one-year-rent-free apartment sponsored by Al Ghurair Real Estate.
- If you spend 300 AED or more at Dubai Festival City Mall, you can enter the draw to become one of the ten lucky shoppers who will win a gold bar weighing 50 grams.
- Dubai Gold and Jewellery Group have announced 30 lucky shoppers buying gold jewellery worth at least 500 AED from participating outlets can take home an equal share of Dh150,000 in jewellery shopping vouchers.
- Dubai Shopping Mall has announced that 20 grams of 24-karat gold coins valued up to Dh100,000 will be awarded to 20 shoppers making purchases over 200 AED.
- At Festival Plaza, spend 150 AED and get into the draw to win 25,000 AED
Before you go… More important things you should know when planning a trip to Dubai
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Dubai, a handy guide on what to pack, and top tips for first-timers on the do’s and don’ts, laws, and customs to be aware of.
- Check out this incredible list of 150+ places you should visit when you’re in Dubai.
- Pick up a Dubai Pass from iVenture or a Go City Dubai Pass to save up to 50% on top Dubai attractions.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!!!
- Discover the best areas to stay in Dubai, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE and transit passengers self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our recommendation links.Dubai Travel Planner