Everything you need to know about visiting Dubai in December
December is probably our favourite month for encouraging visitors to come to Dubai and the UAE. There is so much to enjoy from the perfect weather to festivities around town.
Dubai weather in December
If it’s the scorching summer heat that has ever put you off visiting Dubai then get set for the wonderfully mild days of December. Average day time highs of around 26c/78.8F and seawater temperature of 25.6c/78F.
You can read our complete guide to Dubai Weather in December here, as well as our suggested ideas of what to pack for Dubai in December.
Dubai Special Events December 2019
- The final race of the Formula 1 Grand Prix season takes place in Abu Dhabi on 1 December 2019. Yas Marina Circuit, on Yas Island in Abu Dhabi, is an easy 1-hour freeway drive away from Downtown Dubai. You can read more on how to get to Abu Dhabi from Dubai here.
- Commemoration Day – in honour of those soldiers who have fought and lost their lives for the UAE. Previously called Martyrs Day this day of national importance and reflection has been moved to coincide with the National Day holidays on 1 December.
- National Day on 2/3 December – an annual public holiday to mark the occasion of the country’s federation in 1971. National Day 48 will be greeted with fireworks and celebrations across the city and you will see a lot of UAE flags adorning buildings, cars, and anything they can be stuck to really!
- The Nutcracker Ballet – a Christmas classic set to Tchaikovsky’s score will be showing this year at Dubai Opera from 4 to 7 December.
- The Emirates Dubai Rugby 7’s is a great sporting event that will fall over 5 to 7 December 2019. Held at the specialised Sevens Stadium, south of the city this is always a fabulous 3-day party, this year’s featured act is Kylie Minogue on Friday 6 December.
- Jingle Bells Favourites – keeping the Christmas spirit going at Dubai Opera, enjoy the 4th season of carols and seasonal classics performed by the London Concert Orchestra Show Band and Capital Voices Choir, and Westend soloists 12-14 December.
- Peter Pan at the QE2 – a special show for the kids this Christmas on board the permanently docked Queen Elizabeth 2. Shows are running between 13 to 24 December.
- New Year’s Eve – 31 December always sees a spectacular fireworks show that lights up many of the city’s famous buildings. Crowds can be manic and hotel costs in prime locations sky-high so book well in advance to enjoy this one!
Suggested Dubai activities in December
Given the mild sunny days, it’s a perfect time of year to do some of Dubai’s more physical outdoor activities. Our top picks for this December are:
- Take on the Ras al Khaimah zipline course – Jebel Jais Flight! Not only the longest zipline in the world where speeds can reach up to 160kms an hour, but there are also now seven different courses that meet in a suspended platform in the Hajar Mountains.
Top tip: If you don’t fancy the self-drive up to Ras al Khaimah, check out this tour which can pick you up from your Dubai hotel. It includes transfers to Jebel Jais and the zipline experience.
- This is the perfect time of year to experience Dubai Garden Glow, Dinosaur Park and the Ice Park in Zabeel Park. An evening wonderland, the festive season makes it all the more magical.
- Visit Hatta Dam. Hatta can be found to the south of Dubai, near the Oman border, approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes from Downtown Dubai. Enjoy kayaking or paddleboarding, or try the tandem water bikes with a friend!
Splurge for December
- Join a Dubai New Years Eve Fireworks Cruise! Ring in 2020 in style by joining a 3-hour cruise taking you past Dubai’s iconic Atlantis, Burj Al Arab and the Palm Jumeirah.
Before you go… thing to know before you visit Dubai
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Dubai, a handy guide on what to pack and top tips for first-timers on the do’s and don’ts, laws and customs to be aware of.
- Pick up a Dubai Pass to save up to 50% on top Dubai attractions
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!!!
- Discover the best areas to stay in Dubai, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here: