Looking to plan your trip to Dubai around Dubai’s public holidays? Here’s a guide to what to expect in 2024 in Dubai:
- New Year’s Day: 1 January 2024 (1 day)
- Eid Al Fitr: From the last day of the Islamic month of Ramadan to 3 Shawwal* (approx. 10 April to 13 April 2024 – 4 days)
- Arafat Day and Eid Al Adha (Feast of Sacrifice): From 9 to 12 Dhu al Hijjah* (approx. 15 June to 18 June 2024 – 4 days)
- Hijri New Year: 1 Muharram* (Approx. 7 July 2024, date of observation may differ – 1 day)
- The Prophet Mohammed’s birthday: Approx. 15 September 2024, observation may occur on 16th – not always a public holiday
- Commemoration Day: 1 December 2024 (1 day)
- National Day (53rd Anniversary): 2 and 3 December 2024 (2 days)
*Islamic holidays are determined according to moon sightings. The date a religious holiday is observed and the public holiday declared may be two different dates, particularly if it falls on a weekend, Friday- Sunday.
Note that the weekend in the UAE changed from 1 January 2022; Government working hours are now Monday to Friday lunchtime, and the weekend is Friday afternoon, Saturday, and Sunday.
Hijri Calendar to Gregorian Calendar
The Hijri Calendar moves forward by approximately ten days more than the Gregorian Calendar every year. There is a good translation tool here from IslamicFinder.org to understand when important days on the Hijri Calendar will translate to:
Prayer Times in Dubai
You can also check out our guide here to the daily prayer times in Dubai. There isn’t much you need to do as a non-Muslim tourist at prayer times, but it has some great tips on understanding exactly WHAT is happening and WHY.
We also share some extra pointers on having a more immersive Islamic experience during your trip to Dubai.
Dubai School Holidays 2024
There is both a public (MoE) and private (international) school sector in Dubai, governed by KHDA (Knowledge and Human Development Authority). The dates they have stipulated as holidays in a three-term school year for September starting curriculums are:
- Winter Break 9 December to 1 January 2024 (schools return 2 January 2024)
- Spring Break 23 March to 15 April 2024 (International Schools/MoE Schools – incorporates Eid al Fitr)
- Summer Break Not before 28 June 2024 until approximately 27 August 2024*
*The end of summer break is only anticipated until formally announced by the Government.
Other Major Events in Dubai & the UAE 2024
Here’s what’s already lined up for the 2024 Dubai Events Calendar:
- Dubai DutyFree Tennis Championship – February 19 to March 4, 2024 at the Dubai DutyFree Stadium
- Dubai World Cup – Horse racing season with premier events taking place February – March 2024
- Ramadan – the Holy Month from approx 11 March to 9 April 2024 – note, it’s not a public holiday but month-long religious observance, concluding with Eid al-fitr public holidays
- Diwali – 31 October – 4 November 2024 – with a large Indian expat community, the event is widely celebrated in the UAE
- Christmas – 25 December 2024 – not a public holiday but widely observed within the retail and hospitality sector
- New Year’s Eve – 31 December 2024 always a spectacular night of fireworks and festivities not to be missed
Before you go… More important things you should know when planning a trip to Dubai
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Dubai, a handy guide on what to pack, and top tips for first-timers on the do’s and don’ts, laws, and customs to be aware of.
- Check out this incredible list of 150+ places you should visit when you’re in Dubai.
- Pick up a Dubai Pass from iVenture or a Go City Dubai Pass to save up to 50% on top Dubai attractions.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!!!
- Discover the best areas to stay in Dubai, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE and transit passengers self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our recommendation links.Dubai Travel Planner