Brilliant water experiences to try in the heart of Downtown Dubai
The Burj Lake is home to the famous nightly Dubai Fountain show. Every night the 30-acre man-made Burj Lake, which sits at the foot of the incredible Burj Khalifa, lights up with a delight of sound and colour for a 5-minute show, every 30 minutes from 6:00 PM.
Watch in amazement as over 6,000 lights, 25 colour projectors and 83,000 litres of water move in choreographed perfection to classic Arabian music and modern hits.
The fountain show itself is free to watch from many vantage points near Dubai Mall, but you can also enhance your experience with many paid attractions around Burj Lake in the Downtown area of Dubai.
Traditional Abra Lake Ride – Dubai Fountain Show
One of the best ways to see the fountains up close on an unforgettable Dubai experience is to book yourself a seat on a traditional abra (boat) ride on the lake.
The Lake Ride boats depart on quarter past and quarter to the hour, allowing you enough time to float to an ideal position before the show starts. Each boat can take a maximum of 8 passengers – the earlier you go in the evening from our experience the less crowded, you may even get your own boat!
With tickets collected from the At The Top counter in the lower ground floor of Dubai Mall, give yourself plenty of time to get organised as there can be queues. It’s a good 5-minute walk to then get from the ticket counter back to the promenade (there are signs to follow) then look for the “Lake Ride” check in (outside WAFI Gourmet).
You’ll be boarded into the correct boat then sit back and enjoy your front row seats for the show.
Tickets for a Burj Lake fountain ride
- You can advance purchase your tickets here (NB we recommend Get Your Guide ticketing services with their money-back guarantee should your plans change)
NB Those aged 3 and under can go free but must sit on laps.
Opening time for the Burj Lake fountains ride
The fountains commence in the evening at 6:00 PM so the earliest you can book is 5:45 PM. The last boat leaves at 10:45 PM.
Dubai Fountain Boardwalk
The Dubai Fountain Boardwalk, or sometimes referred to as the Dubai Fountain Bridge is a 272m long floating platform that allows visitors the best possible up-close view of the fountain on foot.
Pricing for the Dubai Fountain Boardwalk experience
- If you buy just the entry ticket it is 20 AED per person from At The Top
(Some tour companies seem to charge significantly more with little extra offered than guiding you from the ticket counter to the start of the walk- check exactly what you’re getting)
Note you still need to arrive well in advance of your desired show time or booking slot as the ticket collection counter is shared with “At The Top” for Burj Khalifa. The ticket collection counter here can be busy at peak times so you want to be organized in advance.
*New* Dubai Fountain Water Experiences on Burj Lake
With an extension to the main Burj Lake opening on 7 December 2020, there are now several new daytime boating options to enjoy the Burj Lake. This is great for families who cannot stay up as late at night. You can now enjoy water experiences including:
- Children’s boating
- Family boating
- Kayaking experiences
- A floating garden
The family offering includes motorised and pedal boats, whilst your older kids (15 years +) and fitter riders may want to take on the different kayak experiences, including a transparent kayak option and water bikes.
The new Birds Cove is just for your little ones to enjoy. As well as experiencing the floating garden from dry land, if they are aged 3 and above they have a choice of miniature motorised and pedal boats in bird shapes of motorised ducks and pedal flamingos. Of course, all safety precautions are taken and they will be supervised as well as wearing life jackets.
The paddle swan boat is appropriate for kids over 12 and adults, whilst the family swan boat is electrical and can be used by families with kids from 3 years + (there must be one adult to pilot the boat).
A high standard of hygiene should be expected throughout with mask wearing mandatory, temperature checks and regular sanitisation.
These new attractions will make great add on experiences for families visiting Dubai Mall and the Downtown area.
Burj Lake Water Experiences opening hours
- Daily from 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM
NB if you’re hoping to catch a glimpse of the fountains at the same time note that the fountains do not start until 6:00 PM and the last booking for the water experiences is 7:30 PM.
Pricing for Burj Lake Water Experiences
- Swam Boat 50 AED/30 mins
- Kayaks from 75 AED/30 mins
- Water Bikes 50 AED/30 mins
- Kids flamingo boat 40 AED/30 mins
- Kids Duck boat 45 AED/30 mins
You can book your tickets via the Burj Khalifa At The Top website – pricing includes VAT. Bookings can be made a maximum of 90 days in advance.
Other Dubai Fountain viewing points around Burj Lake
The fountains can be viewed from many vantage points around Burj Lake including:
- From the promenade surrounding Dubai Mall
- From the promenade in front of Souk Al Bahar and the bridge from the Souk to the Mall (though be warned, this point can get VERY busy)
- From an incredible lake-front restaurant with uninterrupted views – you can find our complete guide to Dubai fountain views here
- From the Burj Khalifa observation deck At The Top – though we think you definitely get the better effect from ground level.
- Some hotels with Burj Khalifa views also have front row seats to see the Burj Lake fountains how – just be sure to specify this when you book as lakeside view rooms may cost more.
Psst – if you love your fountains, you may also want to pop over and check out the stunning new nightly display to be found at The Pointe, Palm Jumeirah – they recently set the Guinness World Record as the largest fountain display in the world!
Stay near the Burj Lake
Downtown Dubai is a great central location to base yourself close to many of the city’s major attractions. Several hotels and Airbnb properties also offer superb views of the Burj Lake to compliment your Dubai water experiences.
Before you go… More important things you should know when planning a trip to Dubai
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Dubai, a handy guide on what to pack and top tips for first-timers on the do’s and don’ts, laws and customs to be aware of.
- Check out this incredible list of 150+ places you should visit when you’re in Dubai.
- Pick up a Dubai Pass to save up to 50% on top Dubai attractions
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!!!
- Discover the best hotels to stay in close to the Dubai Mall and Burj Khalifa, as well as all the best areas to stay in Dubai, or check out nearby hotel & Airbnb options here: