AKA Dubai Ferris Wheel – here’s what you need to know
Due to open later in 2021 we’ve been doing some investigating on the background and facts about the latest sensation to hit the Dubai skyline – Ain Dubai!
Ain Dubai – or as it was referred to in early stages of development Dubai Eye – stands a staggering 250 metres high on the man-made development of Bluewaters Island – snuggly in between the Palm Jumeirah and popular tourist hotspot JBR.
Facts about Ain Dubai
Originally due to open in line with Expo 2020 in Dubai, unsurprisingly with COVID consuming 2020 the opening has been pushed back in line with the revised Expo event to October 2021 (TBC). Here’s what we can confirm so far!
- The Ain Dubai project was announced in 2013 and construction commenced in 2015 – we await final completion of the project and opening to the public in 2021 but the wheel itself is now in place and the capsules are being installed.
- The primary design and construction contractors are Hyundai Engineering & Construction and Starneth Engineering.
- The project for the wheel itself has an estimated cost of AED 1 billion ($270m).
- The wheel already stands at a staggering 250 metres tall.
- When open, it will become the tallest observation wheel in the world, surpassing the current record holder the 167.6m (550ft) High Roller in Las Vegas by 42.5m (139ft).
- The wheel will have 48 capsules and will be capable of carrying 1,400 passengers.
- One ride around the wheel will take 48 minutes.
- 9,000 tonnes of steel were used in the wheel’s construction.
- Each spoke cable that holds the wheel in place weighs 5 tonnes and is the length of one football pitch!
- 2,400 kilometre of cable wires are housed inside the spoke cables.
- A multi-purpose tourist attraction, one of the wheel legs will also host the highest climbing platform in the world.
Tickets to Ain Dubai
As the wheel has not opened yet, it’s currently not possible to buy tickets to Ain Dubai, though stay tuned (you can book mark this page in your browser), as soon as they go on pre-sale we’ll add the link for you here.
Opening times for Ain Dubai
- We are also waiting for the final opening times for Ain Dubai – stay tuned!
What else is there to do in Bluewaters Island
Designed as a luxury urban retreat, you will find at the heart of Bluewaters a trendy dining and retail district, marked by distinctive canopy structures that look particularly sensational when lit up at night.
With 132 leisure and retail units, it’s certainly one of Dubai’s up and coming destinations to watch out for.
Currently Bluewaters is dominated by the Caesars Resort complex and the ultra-trendy Cove Beach – one of Dubai’s top beach clubs.
How to Get to Ain Dubai
Ain Dubai is accessible via car, metro, foot and even boat!
Ain Dubai by foot
You can get to Bluewaters easily on foot from Jumeriah Beach Residence (JBR) – The Beach over a pedestrian footbridge known as The Wharf Link that connects the two beachside entertainment zones of the city.
Ain Dubai by Dubai Metro
The closest Metro stations are:
- Damac Metro Station (9 min walk)
- Dubai Marina Mall (12 min walk)
Ain Dubai by water taxi
A newly-opened water taxi station Bluewaters Wharf Station services. Water taxis operate between 7am and 10pm daily. See the RTA schedule, or arrange a private charter calling
Ain Dubai by car
There are over 2000 parking bays on-site making it easy to self-drive, or alternatively catch a taxi or ride-sharing service to the door. You need Exit 31 from Sheikh Zayed Road.
Stay near Ain Dubai
If you want to stay in the heart of the action on Bluewaters, you have a few choices:
Caesars at Bluewaters
There are, in fact, two Caesars hotels sitting side by side. Both are 5-star offerings with numbersous on-site dining options and the Qua Spa. There is also a residence’s building which can be rented by Dubai holidaymakers looking for a little extra space.
Beyond the Caesars complex, there are many private luxury apartments on Bluewaters that can be rented via Airbnb, providing access to superb modern facilities, perfect for longer term guests in Dubai. You can check out all the nearby options at Bluewaters here:
Hope you are as excited as we are by the opening of Ain Dubai and the sensational new views it will bring of the city. You can check out our complete guide to the best views in Dubai here
Before you go… More important things you should know when planning a trip to Dubai
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Dubai, a handy guide on what to pack and top tips for first-timers on the do’s and don’ts, laws and customs to be aware of.
- Check out this incredible list of 150+ places you should visit when you’re in Dubai.
- Pick up a Dubai Pass to save up to 50% on top Dubai attractions
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!!!
- Discover the best areas to stay in Dubai.
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our hotel or tour recommendation links. This post is in no way sponsored by Meraas or Ain Dubai, facts sources from Meeras and correct at time of writing.Dubai Travel Planner