It’s been talked about for many years and with much excitement, we can confirm that select Emirates A380 aircraft will soon be flying with a Premium Economy cabin – music to the ears of frequent long-haul travellers!
When will Emirates offer Premium Economy seats?
You will be able to book Premium Economy seats on Emirates from 1 June 2022, for flights on or after 1 August 2022.
What Emirates routes will offer Premium Economy?
At this stage, the new cabins will be found on Emirates’ most popular routes including:
- London Heathrow
- Paris Charles de Gaulle
- Christchurch (coming in December 2022)
This won’t be the end of the Premium Economy rollout. Emirates has indicated that they will be retrofitting 67 A380s and 53 Boeing 777s in their fleet, so more options to come for economy long-haul travellers.
What can guests expect in Emirates Premium Economy?
The new cabin class will offer luxurious leather seats, more legroom, and service that is set to challenge many airlines’ equivalent business class offerings.
Seats on Emirates Premium Economy
It’s not quite a flatbed but you’ll get a lot more recline room than the standard economy seats at 8″. The pitch is up to 40″ and seat width 19.5″. Enjoy calf rests and footrests for additional comfort in the sky.
The signature wood panelling you see in Business Class will also be offered in Premium Economy, along with 6-way adjustable headrests, accessible in-seat charging points, and a side cocktail table.
The new A380 aircraft will consist of 4 cabins, with Premium Economy at the front of the lower deck (the upper deck is still exclusive to Business and First Class passengers, but hey, at least you get to be at the pointy end!)
Seats will be in a 2-4-2 configuration (vs standard economy 3-4-3) and Premium Economy will have priority on disembarking.
The only con we can see that impacts more on family travellers; due to the side table fitting in your armrest, you won’t have moveable arms for kids to be able to lie flat across the row. (And per Emirates policy, sleeping devices for kids such as the Bed Box are not allowed).
Food, Service & Entertainment on Emirates Premium Economy
As close as you can to Business Class service, Premium Economy guests on Emirates will be welcomed on board with a drink, and a generous selection of meals will be on offer, served on chinaware with real metal cutlery! The drinks selection includes premium wines and sparkling Chandon, along with liqueurs and chocolates.
Each seat is fitted with an incredible 13.3″ screen and you’ll have full access to the airline’s acclaimed ICE programming – this includes over 5000 channels of music, movies, and TV shows. Premium Economy on Emirates will also offer higher-speed wifi (though we understand still paid).
Premium Economy Passengers will also get an exclusive check-in area when flying out of DXB (we await news if any privileges or special check-ins will operate at other airports in due course).
What will Premium Economy on Emirates cost?
This is still a bit of a surprise, we’ll wait to see flights going on sale to confirm.
It will obviously vary significantly by route, but we’re led to believe it will be about 30-50% more than a standard economy ticket for Emirates – but please do wait until fares are announced in June!
More on Flying to Dubai with Emirates
If you will be flying to Dubai with their homegrown airline Emirates, you may also be interested to learn more about:
- Dubai Connect – got a long layover between flights? If the delay cannot be avoided with an earlier connecting flight, Emirates will put you up for the night! Yup, that’s right. No uncomfortable long airport layovers, check if you’re eligible for a free night in Dubai.
- Hotels close to Dubai Airport – even if you’re not eligible for Dubai Connect, we know just how invaluable it can be to stay near to the airport. Here we share all our favourite hotels, catering to all budgets
- Want to wait it out in DXB? If your stopover isn’t that long, your best of making the most of one of the world’s largest and busiest airports – DXB. Here’s our insider’s guide to the best things to do in DXB.
- Short layover? You can leave the airport if you prefer and do some sightseeing in Downtown Dubai. Here we suggest all the easiest ways of getting from DXB to Downtown – this includes iconic buildings Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall, and Dubai Opera. Or why not try these quick and easy tours and destinations you can tackle with just a few hours spare on a Dubai Stopover.
Before you go… More important things you should know when planning a trip to Dubai
- Pop into our essential planning information page, it includes everything you need to know about getting around Dubai, a handy guide on what to pack, and top tips for first-timers on the do’s and don’ts, laws, and customs to be aware of.
- Check out this incredible list of 150+ places you should visit when you’re in Dubai.
- Pick up a Dubai Pass from iVenture or a Go City Dubai Pass to save up to 50% on top Dubai attractions.
- Don’t forget to pack your travel insurance!!!
- Discover the best areas to stay in Dubai, or bag a bargain on your accommodation here:
Please note we are not a travel agency. This site is a travel blog to help newcomers to the UAE and transit passengers self plan their trip, we cannot book your flights, hotels, visas or connections for you. We may make a small commission if you click on any of our recommendation links.Dubai Travel Planner